Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Update!

Man oh man... I don't know about you guys, but my family sees Easter as another holiday for great food.  And great food there was!  But obviously....... not all of it is paleo-friendly.  And being around it can be... frustrating.



But I survived!  I started by making some paleo cookies to take to my dad's house for his crawfish boil.



Now, if you ask my brother, they were "obviously paleo" but I really couldn't tell.  The consistency was more chewy than crunchy, but that's how I like them!  I fell in love.  I don't make paleo treats often (or really at all, unless I'm taking them to a party) but these are my new go-to.

As for the crawfish boil: I decided to go ahead and indulge.  I mean, come on.  They're just boiled crawfish.  Yes, yes, I checked the seasoning that goes in and it has the potential to be cross contaminated with gluten and soy, but I figured it was worth it.



The next day we headed up to Normangee for the big Easter dinner.  I thought I'd make a paleo cheesecake!

..........There's a reason the words "paleo" and "cheesecake" have never been in a sentence before.


I didn't even bother taking a picture of the finished product because it was... disappointing.  My step father absolutely loved it so more power to him, but the rest of us respectfully declined seconds.

But I was certainly well-fed while up there!


Other than the obvious choices of meat (which I took advantage of) there were many choices that were paleo-friendly!  Tomatoes and okra, green beans, brussels sprouts, cabbage, yummmm.  My mom even picked up some gluten-free rolls!  Not necessarily paleo (made of potato starch and rice flour) but better than any options up there :)

Kev and I took our Easter pics


(which were hilarious) and headed home to check on the garden.  There's something growing in every square, just certain things are growing better than others :)


and finally........ GROCERY SHOPPING!  We grabbed stuff for the whole week:


  • Blackened salmon with mango salsa, and roasted green beans and mushrooms 
  • Rosemary chicken with brussels and mushrooms
  • Olive chicken with asparagus and broccoli 
Uhh, yum, right?  And for breakfast I'm having my same old of scrambled eggs, pork sausage, avocado, and tomatoes.  And I made some new weird salad concoction of romaine, turkey, eggs, raisins, avocado, and tomatoes. 

I eat a LOT of avocados. 


No comments:

Post a Comment