Thursday, February 13, 2014

And so it begins!

Yep.  I have become one of those guys.  I am hoppin' on the Paleo bandwagon.

....I know what you're thinking.


But honestly?  It's about to make a lot of sense. I have IBS - irritable bowel syndrome.  And no, it's not what you think it is (which is probably something gross).  The lining of my intestines is very sensitive, and my stomach doesn't work quite as efficiently as it should.  So while my stomach is trying very, very hard to regulate everything that's going on down there, I can feel all of it a lot more intensely than others.  Foods that set it off in particular are fatty foods, highly processed foods, and things of the like.  Starting to make sense now?  Good!  

My stomach issues get so bad that they have impacted my life in many more ways than one.  I've been late to school more times than I could count, I was late to work, I would miss important events with my friends... all because of food!  It used to be that I just refused to go out to eat.  If I ever ditched out on you for drinks or dinner - that's why.  Food just made me sick! 



For those of you who aren't familiar with Paleo, I'm not eating strictly like a historically correct caveperson and hunting for my food (I guess it would be kind of fun to take a huge spear to Normangee and chase down a cow.... but I am certain that they can run faster than I can).  I'm cutting out all processed and refined foods, and all foods that take too much man-made interference to be edible (e.g. wheat, beans, etc.).  There's more chemistry behind it, but I was a criminal justice major, so no thanks.


Finally, I want to share my journey with my friends and family.  However, I do not want to bombard Facebook with pictures and status updates about my Paleo food.  People seem to get quite butthurt when you talk about living a healthy lifestyle (a rant for another day).  This blog is a way for me to share my story and how this goes.  I'm really hoping for a complete turn around in my body and mind.  I think this will be great for me!  Thank you for all of those who support me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment