Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 22/Paleo on-the-go!

Alright, well this weekend was my first experience with taking paleo on the go with me.  I was invited to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese's for my 4 year old cousin.  My first reaction:



Running, screaming, unidentified smells, germs, and children in general? OOOOOOF.   But I love my Nikkipedia and his psychotic 19 year old sister/my other cousin freaked out so hard that I almost wanted to go just to see if she'd go into cardiac arrest.

However, this still left me with a few issues.

1) Party is in Houston, so I wanted to go the night before (staying at Kevin's parents' house).  What would I bring for dinner, breakfast, and lunch?!

2) No birthday cake for me? :(


Well I remedied the dessert issue faster than I could even blink.  Pre-paleo, I LOVED baking and making sweets.  Every holiday, birthday, party, you named it.  It was my favorite way to share food with people.  So why should that have to change?

I made these Mini Chocolate Pies with Raw Graham Cracker Crust


These were so easy and so cheap to make!  Which is unusual for paleo desserts.  Most call for alternative flours, like coconut flour and almond meal which can run up to $11 per pound up here!  No thanks.  These just have a handful of ingredients tossed in a food processor



So rich and simple.  They just tasted like wads of dark chocolate.  Even kevin liked them, and he hates coconut!

Then the second issue: how to eat at a house I don't live in? LEFTOVERSSSS.  I packed up all the leftovers I was scheduled to eat over the weekend, and then grabbed a banana and some eggs for the two ingredient pancakes.  I don't use syrup, so I grabbed one of those individual packets of almond butter! 


Toss in some chopped strawberries and ta-da!  Simple paleo breakfast.

Now as for the party....

First off, my cousin delivered.  She went bat shit insane over the games and it was the highlight of my year so far.  It was infectious, and soon we cared much more about annihilating skee ball and guitar hero than about somebody's birthday


(You can tell that I'm terrible because I had fallen off the course at this point)


I didn't eat perfectly paleo, I ate a few bone-in wings and drank some soda, but my stomach tolerated it well enough (thankfully).  I also snacked on some of my mini pies :)  It helped hit my sweet tooth without having to eat a slice of cake (which has always made me sick).

After the party was said and done and we were on our way back, I realized I was still pretty hungry (since I limited my intake of party food).  Where could we go out to dinner?  There was no way in hell I was going to cook after spending my day around energy-sucking monsters (children). 

SUSHIIIIIIIIIII 


Asked for extra radish, brought my own paleo-friendly soy sauce in my purse (lookin' like a fuhhhREAK) and tada!  Easy, easy dinner.  Put me into a food coma instantly. 

AND FINALLY: GARDEN UPDATE 

Well the freeze destroyed my tomatoes and squash, hahaha.  I'm a little frustrated, but I'm just going to plant some more after this next dip into cold weather this week (TEXAS, Y U NO STAY WARM).  But my indoor seeds have started to sprout! 


I always feel like a farming genius when I look at them.  HOW DO THEY DO THAT?  How are they alive?!  Plants fascinate me.  Only because I'm too lazy to really learn about them.  But this ....weird level of fascination makes them feel more like pets than plants.  It's like an aquarium of plants instead of fish. 

Oh my god I'm still so tired from yesterday, just pretend that I'm making sense.

WHATEVER SO HERE'S MY HERB GARDEN, RIGHT


So it's not pretty, whatever.  I still think it's fabulous!  That empty space on the second row is for chives and something else I've already forgotten about.  Basil?  I don't remember.  They're still trying to sprout indoors so it'll be a surprise for me I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment