Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 25/I think I may have too much time on my hands

Day 3 of spring break.... oh lord.


So.  Much.  Time.  To fight the inevitable boredom, I've found things to do.  I've been SO productive! Haha.  I'm much more excited for summer now that I know I can always find something to do around the house (yaaaaay home ownership!)

But most of my focus today has been in the kitchen.  For several weeks now, I've been saving every bone from every meal Kev and I have devoured.  And since we're cheapies, we always buy bone-in thighs, and ta da!  Huge amount of bones leftover.  While I could probably use them for some creepy ass jewlery or shady voodoo tricks, I decided on bone broth.  I know, I'm lame.

MAN OH MAN is this stuff a super food.  According to several experts:

1. It heals a leaky gut. 
2. Fights infections such as colds and flu.  
3. Reduces joint pain and inflammation.  
4. Produces gorgeous skin, hair and nails.  
5. Helps with bone formation, growth and repair.  
6. Saves you money.  
7. Super easy to make.  
8. Healthier than buying supplements.  
9. Fights inflammation.  
10. Promotes sleep and calms the mind.  
Like.... why would you not make this stuff?!  All I did was toss it in a pot with some aromatic veggies and let it simmer for 8-10 hours.  Plus it made my kitchen smell sexcellent. 

When it was said and done, I ended up with about 5 liters of broth.  Whaaaa!  Awesome.


And apparently you can use the bones twice.  HOLLAAAA


And if you think that's the only thing I made today then you are ridiculous.  When has Chrissy Meine only ever made just one thing at a time?  Pfffft.  Peasant.

I also made ghee!  For non-paleo folk, this is clarified butter.  Essentially, you just boil up some organic, grass-fed butter (couldn't find any!  I still got the best I could do [Horizon Organic] but they do not let their cows roam free and eat grass :( *tangent time* it's funny, growing up with a ranch in the family, it never occurred to me that cows could live any other way than ours did.).  Anyway,  the dairy solids separate and you just strain 'em out, making it dairy-free!




ta-da!  Store-bought ghee can run up to $9.99 for 7 oz.  uhmmmm


AND FINALLY: dinner.

It was coconut curried shrimp from SkinnyTaste's website.. but I gotta say, it fell kind of flat.  I will admit that I probably didn't use quite as much curry paste because I thought it was going to be spicy.  Uhhhh, no.  It also called for reduced fat coconut milk, which was also a bust.  Next time: more spicy and more fat!


We served it over cilantro lime "rice" AKA cauliflower!  Seriously, is there anything cauliflower can't do?! TELL me that is not rice.

Seriously.

Try and tell me.


COME ON.

TL;DR I am obsessed with cauliflower the end

No comments:

Post a Comment